In basic terms, provisioning refers to making something available or can also mean “to provide”. The provisioning management solution is prevalent in the information technology industry. Provisioning can be used in grid computing and on a storage area network (SAN). However, it is widely known in the telecommunications’ industry. Provisioning management for telecom is important for their businesses, especially in their services and interaction with customers.
In grid computing, provisioning is related to activating a grid component to the switch, array, and server. For a storage area network or SAN, storage provisioning is the procedure of assigning storage to be able to optimize the performance of the network. In telecommunications, provisioning management services have several definitions. OTT companies must work with provisioning management services that can handle the deployment of a fixed wireless network in rural areas to ensure that they have a wider reach in those areas.
What does provisioning mean in telecommunications?
- Provisioning can refer to several things in telecommunications. Provisioning can refer to the provision of telecom service to a user. It also includes everything that is needed in setting up the service. This includes setting up transmission, wiring, and equipment.
- Provisioning also serves as a synonym for configuring. It refers to the telecommunications lines that must be properly provisioned to be able to work alongside the customer’s equipment and enabling the various options that the user has chosen.
- There are three types of traditional telecommunications environments. The three types of provisioning include switch provisioning, circuit provisioning, and service provisioning.
- Provisioning can refer to service activation in a wireless environment. It includes programming the network database with the user’s information.
- Another definition of provisioning would mean the fourth step in the sequence of the telecommunications process. The first step is the “Operations”, the second step would be “Administration”, the third step is “Maintenance” and the fourth being ‘Provisioning”.
- Although this definition is a slight variation, network provisioning systems are defined as intermediary systems that are utilized to “provide” log transactions, customer services, update files, and carry out requests.
- The technical group who created the “Services Provisioning Markup Language or SPML stated that provisioning is referred to as the automated provisioning management that automates all the processes that are required to manage the user. It also manages the system that accesses the data relative or entitlements to electronically produced services.
Provisioning Configuration Management
To manage provision would mean to supervise the procedure of equipping and preparing the network that will be providing new services to the customers. At its core, provisioning relates to the business-wide configuration, management, and provisioning management for the deployment of various resources in an IT infrastructure.
Previously, the management of provisioning configuration was manual. It used to have different systems, interfaces, and departments alongside multiple levels of processes. Provisioning needs to oversee customer and user access rights, as well as privacy to ensure that every data is secured. Manual provisioning was hectic and slow, which increased the risk of human error.
The innovation allowed businesses to automate telecom provisioning. Automated provisioning management services decreases the risk of any human error caused by the efficiency of the previous manual process. The updated and automated newer provisioning management software in the industry can recreate and repeat former processes smoothly and properly. Due to the reduced errors, the costs are lowered.
Why would automated provisioning need provisioning management services?
The current trend and innovation in today’s world have made it imperative that companies must work with an automated provisioning system. Automation can ensure that the customer will have a good experience while the management part will help in accurately managing the provisioning system.
Provisioning management For OTT Authentication
OTT refers to “over-the-top” media service. It is a streaming media service that is offered to viewers online. OTT bypasses satellite television, broadcast, and cable platforms which were traditionally the distributor of content. Examples of OTT are Hulu, Netflix, HBO Now, Amazon Video, YouTube Red, and YouTube itself.
OTTs store many data and their end-users ’ information must be protected. To ensure the protection of their viewers, they would need authentication. An automated and managed provisioning system can produce an authentication process allowing the user to authenticate and protect their accounts.
Provisioning management for OTT authentication aids users to watch their favorite content. They can access the content without being restricted. Services like ETI can provide the software needed by service providers in the management of their provisioning systems.