According to the World Health Organisation, ‘…about 1 in 3 (35%) of women worldwide have experienced either physical and/or sexual intimate partner violence or non-partner sexual violence in their lifetime’. This however is an official head count which, if added to the unofficial headcount may triple the number, as most cases are not reported to the office of law for the sake of securing the dignity of the family. Thus, apart from being in charge of one’s financial security, women should also be in charge of their physical security to achieve holistic independence. So, below mentioned are ten reasons why women should take self-defense classes –
- To hone strategical skills– Many times, sexual predators on public transportation take women by surprise as they go on to grab a woman’s private body part. Therefore, girls need to hone their strategical skills both mentally and physically for such uncalled-for incidents and to be able to retaliate before the predator elopes without being punished. And self defense classes for girls always prepares them for such situations.
- To be confident – Since childhood girls are taught to be submissive and dependent on a manly figure. This teaching affects their confidence level to a great extent at an early age. Thus, to sweep away such self-deprecating ideologies, every female should be provided with self-defense classes to help them recuperate the confidence that was lost at an early age.
- To spread body positivity – To spread body positivity and rebel against the gender normative principle that self-defense training makes the female body appear more masculine, every girl should take self-defense classes.
- To help other girls – Many times girls see other girls being either harassed physically in an empty lane or being subjected to violence in the same residence as theirs. So, to be able to take a stand against other girls instead of being a silent spectator to their abuse or harassment, girls should take part in female self-defense classes.
- To increase focus–Most self-defense classes enhance the focal power of an individual. Thus, to prevent oneself from all the patriarchal chaos in the environment a girl needs to learn to polish her focal power and stay focused on her ambitions and goals in life.
- To battle sexual harassment at work –In the USA, realtors, who are mainly women,are subjected to sexual violence during working hours. Thus, joining self defense classes for girls is included in the most effective realtor safety tips to overcome sexual harassment at work.
- To avoid obesity – To prevent oneself from menstrual complications arising from obesity, women should indulge in self-defense classes to maintain physical fitness.
- To fearlessly voice one’s opinions – Self defense gives girls the confidence to speak freely as they are aware of the fact that they are capable of handling any sudden outburst of violence.
- To maintain balance– Self defense teaches one to maintain a balance between physical movement and thought process.Thus, if women aim to be fully independent they will need to specialize in this practice of balance.
- To empower the upcoming generation of women – To empower a future generation of females, adult women should empower themselves first. The purpose of self-defense being the same, women can lead to a chain like the generation of confident, independent, and fearless women.
Thus, be it for confidence or to use it as a realtor safety tip, be it to battle violence or to spread body positivity, in every way female Self defense classes empower women.