Tips for Electrical Safety in Homes

Every household uses electricity for lighting and operating a variety of appliances. We need electricity for charging mobile phones, laptops and running the home appliances like refrigerators, TVs, computers, microwaves, etc. We cannot imagine a daily routine without electricity.

However, electricity is dangerous and fatal for life.  If not used with proper safety measures, electricity can be hazardous for humans and pets. House owners and families need to take appropriate measures for the safety of members. Moreover, families need to maintain electric wiring and appliances for the safety of life and property.

The non-maintenance of electric wirings can lead to loose connections and short circuits that lead to fires. Most fires are caused by electric sparks and short-circuit. Let us check some important tips for electrical safety that every family should follow.

Check and maintain

The first step that every family should take towards electrical safety is to check and maintain the eclectic wiring of their house. The installation in homes becomes worn after some years, and it needs replacement. Every family should replace the electrical wiring every ten years and check it every six months for any cuts and loose connections. Periodic inspection and maintenance can help you maintain the wiring and prevent fires.

Replace the faulty wiring

Most people don’t take care of the wiring that can be dangerous. Using the faulty or frayed wiring can lead to electric shock and fires in a property. People can touch a frayed wire by mistake and get the electric shock. It is essential to replace the faulty wiring as soon as possible for the protection of family members and your property.

Water and Electricity

Electricity should never come in contact with water. Families should not use water near the electric wires or appliances. Although we use water in geysers, water heaters, and washing machines, manufacturers have taken care of safety while making these appliances. You should not throw or spill water on the devices that are made for dry operation.

Spilling water not only creates the risk of shock but can also damage the devices. Water conducts electricity quickly and can lead to fatal shocks. Therefore, you must take care that even the kids should not spill liquid on electric switchboards and appliances.

Cords and wires

The cables or wires should be enclosed and never left open on the bed, furniture or floor. Cords left open can be a risk for children and pets. They can touch or pull the cables that can lead to electric shock. If you have any open cords in your house, you should call an electrician and enclose them in an enclosure or switchboard. If possible, you can install underground wiring in our home so that no wires are visible. Underground installation is far safe then the convention style of wiring in households.

Plugs and sockets

The plugs and sockets should always be in perfect condition and should not have loose connections. Make sure the contacts in the plugs and sockets are tight and do not generate a spark while you turn them ON or OFF. If any plugs or sockets are in bad condition, you should replace them immediately with high-quality units.

Fuse and voltage

If your house witnesses frequent voltage fluctuations and the fuse blows, you need to install the voltage stabilizer. Frequent voltage fluctuations can be harmful and damage your home appliances. Therefore, you should consult a qualified and experienced electrician to check the reason for variations and install a voltage stabilization device.

Electric appliances

 

Families should also take care of their devices as outdated devices can also cause risks. If an appliance does not work correctly, there might be some problem in the electric circuit. You should get repair them to maintain them in proper working condition. Maintaining electrical devices and appliances can help you save your family members and pets from electric shocks.

Outdoor use

Some appliances are for indoor use only. However, many people want to sue the appliances outdoors. The devices intended for indoor use may not function properly or can be risky to use outdoors. The temperature and humidity conditions are different in the house and outside. Therefore, you should not use an indoor device for outdoor purposes.

Modifications

Many people try to modify the electrical appliances and repair them themselves in case of a fault. For example, they try to replace the internal components and wires with other parts purchased from the market. Modification of appliances can cause them to malfunction and produce heat or sparks that can cause a fire. Moreover, you increase the risk of electric shocks.

Call an electrician

When you face any electrical issues in your home, you must call an electrician to check the problem. Any delay in testing and fixing the issue can lead to severe risks to life and property. Therefore, it is best to call an electrician immediately as you face a problem.

If you want to install new wiring or appliance in your home or office, you should call an electrician. However, it is essential to call a commercial electrician like the industrial electrician Hervey Bay for office installations.

Final Words

The above points are the best tips for electrical safety at homes. You must maintain your appliances and electric wiring to prevent electric shocks and short circuits. Also, it is essential to take care of the kids and pets and keep them away from wires and appliances. Considering the above tips can help any family to keep themselves safe while using electricity in their home.

In this article

Join the Conversation