Looking to create a toy DIY project for your kids? According to Matthew Davies Stockton, the cardboard dumbo ride is a great toy for your children, especially since it spins! It would take some time and a little skill, but the result would be amazing. Follows the steps below to create a cardboard dumbo ride:
- Gather the Materials – To make the cardboard dumbo ride, you have to gather the following materials:
- Matching pastel colored pencils
- Corrugated cardboard
- Hot glue gun
- Thin Cardboard
- Five cardboard tubes
- One bolt
- Three nuts
- Three washers
- Six dowels
- Several paint colors of your choice
- One bead or wood sphere
- Gold glitter foam
- Create the Dumbo Ride – Cut a cardboard circle of 18 inches and draw a smaller circle in the center. Then, cut ten petal-shaped sections between the two circles. Now, cut two 4-inch circles, one 1 ½ inch x 15-inch strip, one 3 inch circle, one 2 inch square, one 1 ½ x 14-inch strip, one 4 ½ inches x 8 inch rectangle, and five toilet paper rolls.
Use them to make the base and the center column using the nut bolt, washer, and hot glue. Then, paint the flowers and base with the color of your choice. Once done, insert the dowels into the column and attach the flowers so that they can spin freely.
- Dumbo vehicle – Draw the required number of dumbo vehicles on the cardstock. Then, cut them and paint them according to your color preferences. Glue one dumbo face, two ears, four legs, one tail shape, and one circle per vehicle. Color the backside of the dumbo shapes as the front side. Glue the collar end of the cardboard and the front legs on the cardboard tube. Use the gold glitter foam along the exposed cardboard edges.
- Dumbo ride balloon topper – The wooden bead would be used as the hot air balloon once you paint it with rainbow stripes. Add a ¼ inch wide band around the edge of a ¾ inch cut square cardboard. Fold it and glue it to the bottom of the square. Paint the hot air balloon basket in gold color. Apply gold color to a 2-3-inch piece of dowel. Use glue to attach the cardboard square and the wood bead.
Wrap three strands of twine around the top of the basket and around the balloon. Apply glue to the middle of each strand. Draw and color Timothy mouse and glue it to the top of the balloon. Use hot glue to attach the petals, the dowel, and the balloon in place. Use gold glitter foam on any exposed surface area.
To draw the dumbo face, you may use your computer as a lightbox. Matthew Davies Stockton suggests that you create the toy by working together with your kids. It would be more fun that way and improve the bonding you have with your children.