Every and each hair has 3 layers – the outer layer known as the cuticle, the middle layer known as the cortex surrounding the medulla, and the inner fiber known as the medulla that are responsible for protecting our hair from being damaged.
When the cuticle of our hair is damaged, our hair would become dry and lose its luster and shine. Other symptoms of damaged hair are split ends, no elasticity, itchy scalp, harsh or brittle texture, and breakage. Moreover, damaged hair could get tangled easily and could be hard to style and manage.
Our hair could become damaged for various reasons. Some common trigger factors of this hair issue are stress, the friction caused by sleeping on cotton pillowcases, the moisture deficiency in the hair, swimming in chlorinated water, the exposure to harmful UV sun rays, the excess styling, the overuse of heating tools such as blow dryers, the exposure to hot and dry climate, the excess washing with harsh soaps and alcohols, and the use of chemical cures.
People also experience damaged hair due to certain medical issues such as anorexia nervosa, malnutrition, a hereditary problem, and underactive thyroid glands.
Although trimming is the most effective way to stop the hair damage issue, people can also try making use of some safe, natural, and useful home remedies to help in repairing lifeless and dull hair. Nevertheless, damaged hair could not be repaired just within 1 day or even 7 days. It would take patience and time to achieve the best results as desired.
Quick Tips To Cure Damaged Hair At Home:
- Massage your scalp within about 5 minutes every day before going to bed to boost your hair follicles.
- Avoid excess use of chemical-based products or heating tools on your hair.
- Wash the hair well with a mild shampoo three or four times on a weekly basis. Use a conditioner, but ensure to rinse it off thoroughly. Gently squeeze out the excessive water from the hair with a clean towel after washing hair, and then allow your hair to dry naturally.
- Be gentle while brush your hair. It is better for you to opt for a brush with natural bristles or a wide-toothed comb.
- When you go swimming, ensure that you will wash your hair with water after and before swimming.
- Protect the hair from the harmful sunlight by wearing a bandana or a hat.
- Use accessories that do not tangle in the hair easily.
- Drink a lot of water throughout the day and follow a healthy diet plan.
- Do regular exercises to improve your overall health as well as your hair health.
- Opt for satin pillowcases when sleeping and ensure to sleep six to seven hours per day.
- Avoid stress as it can lead to damaged hair as well.
Home Remedies For Damaged Hair – The Best Natural Treatments To Apply
Look at these ten best home remedies for damaged hair and apply them at home for good!
1. White Vinegar
To deal with hair damage, one of the most common remedies people can try is using white vinegar. Its clarifying properties can aid in sealing the cuticle and removing the built-up residues from the hair.
In addition, white vinegar can help in promoting healthy hair growth, restoring the natural pH levels of your scalp, and can make our hair shiny and soft. Here are some simple steps you can follow right at the comfort of your own home with the help of white vinegar to reduce hair damage:
- Mix three cups of water with cup of distilled white vinegar.
- After conditioning, use it to wash your hair.
- Let it stay within five minutes.
- Use lukewarm water to rinse it out and dry your hair with a towel.
- Apple this method one time per week or 2 – 3 weeks.
Honey is extremely nourishing for hair damage. It can lock and attract moisture into the hair cuticles and make them healthy and soft. Here are 2 ways you can try at home to cure damaged hair with the help of honey:
- First, prepare a hair mask with two tbsps. of honey, one tbsp. of coconut oil or olive oil, and one tablespoon of plain yogurt. Mix the ingredients and warm the mixture. Use it to apply directly onto your hair and use a shower cap to cover your hair. After twenty minutes, rinse it off with clean water. Remember to use this hair mask just one time per week.
- Alternatively, try mixing a sufficient amount of water with 1/4 cup of organic raw honey to thin it out. Use it to apply onto your damp hair and let it stay within about thirty minutes. Then use warm water to rinse it off. Apply this tip two times per week for great results.
Note: The regular use of honey hair masks may make your hair lighter.
3. Black Tea
Black tea is ideal for damaged and dry hair as well. Being abundant in vitamin C, vitamin E, and polyphenols, black tea adds softness and shine to hair damage. It can also protect the hair against UV rays’ damage. Here are some simple steps you can follow at home with the support of black tea to deal with damaged hair issue.
- Add a black tea bag to one cup of boiled water.
- Cover the tea and let it steep within about ten minutes.
- Add one or two drops of jasmine essential oil and let the water cool down.
- After shampooing your hair as usual, use this as a final rinse.
- Allow the tea to stay within about ten to fifteen minutes, and then rinse it off with water.
- Apply this tip one or two times per week.
A great Ayurvedic remedy to repair damaged hair and boost hair growth is hibiscus. Hibiscus can help to seal the hair cuticles with moisture and help in adding luster and shine to damaged, dry hair. There are two ways people can try at home with hibiscus to cure damaged, dry hair:
- First, you can grind the petals of two hibiscus flower and three or four hibiscus leaves with a little water. Use this paste to apply directly onto your hair. Allow it to stay within about twenty minutes and then use lukewarm water to rinse it off.
- Alternatively, try heating eight to ten hibiscus flowers in one cup of coconut oil until charred. Strain the tea, let it cool naturally, and then use that tea like an oil to apply directly onto your damaged hair. Massage the oil over the hair for about 5 minutes and allow it to stay at least half an hour before rinsing it off.
Repeat either of these treatments 1 – 2 times per to achieve the best results.
Banana can also help in repairing damaged hair. The moisture, natural oils, fortifying vitamins, and high potassium content of banana can help a lot in softening your hair and improving its elasticity. Try one of these treatments or both of them regularly to take the strength and great look of your hair back:
- First, you just need to make a homemade hair mask by blending together two overripe bananas with a tbsp. each of olive oil, honey, and coconut oil. Use that paste to apply directly right onto your hair. Allow it to stay within about twenty to thirty minutes and then use warm water to rinse it off.
- Alternatively, try mashing a ripe banana and use it to rub thoroughly onto your hair. Let it stay for about 60 minutes, and then use lukewarm water to rinse it off.
Follow either of these treatments 1 – 2 times per week.
6. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is loaded with nutrients that are healthy and essential for human hair. It can penetrate deep into the hair shaft easily, which in turn can prevent hair cuticles from being damaged and keeping hair healthy. There are also 2 simple methods to make use with the help of coconut oil to treat damaged hair:
- First, try mixing 1/4 cup of honey with three tablespoons of warm coconut oil. Blend the ingredients thoroughly and then use it to directly apply onto your damp hair. Allow it to stay within about twenty to thirty minutes, and then use warm water to rinse it off. Apply this method one or two times per week.
- Alternatively, try using warm coconut oil to massage your scalp on a daily basis, or three times per week at least, for about five minutes. Allow it to stay overnight. The next morning, use a mild shampoo to wash your hair off.
7. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is very useful for repairing hair damage. The humectant properties of this herb can help a lot in soothing the hair shaft. It also has vitamins C, vitamin E, amino acids, and enzymes that are essential for human hair. Check out these two simple methods with the support of aloe vera and follow at home to cure your current damaged hair issue:
- First, try mixing three tablespoons of plain yogurt, two tablespoons of coconut oil, and four tablespoons of aloe vera gel. Stir the ingredients well and use the mixture to apply directly on your damaged hair. Allow it to stay within half an hour at least, and then wash your hair with a mild shampoo to rinse it off.
- Alternatively, simply use some aloe vera juice to apply directly onto your damaged hair. Allow it to stay within ten to fifteen minutes, and then use warm water to wash it off.
Follow either of these natural treatments one time per week to achieve the best results.
Egg provides essential nutrients and the nourishment that have been depleted from the hair that is damaged. Egg yolks offer minerals, essential fatty acids, and protein that help in imparting a natural shine and nourishing the hair strands. In addition, the enzymes contained in egg white can aid in cleansing your scalp & hair. Follow either of the following treatments once every 2 weeks:
- First, try beating two eggs along with half a cup of yogurt. Add 1 or 1.5 tablespoons of almond oil and whisk the mixture until it forms a creamy texture. Use that mixture to massage your hair and scalp. Use a towel to cover the head within half an hour, and then use cool water to rinse it off and shampoo hair.
- Alternatively, try using 1 whisked egg to massage directly onto your hair and scalp for about 5 minutes. Use a shower cap to cover your hair and allow it to stay within twenty minutes. Then, use cool water to rinse it off and shampoo as usual.
Being very abundant in natural oils, essential fatty acids, protein, fat, and vitamins, avocados can help a lot in repairing damaged hair. Avocado can coat and soften our hair to keep it flexible and hydrated. It can also help in preventing free radical damage to the hair in the future.
- First, try mashing a ripe avocado and add a sufficient amount of coconut milk and one egg yolk to create a thin paste. Use the mixture to apply directly onto your hair and scalp, as well as massaging it in circular motions within about five minutes. Let it stay for 60 minutes, use lukewarm water to rinse it off, and then shampoo as usual.
- Alternatively, mix the pulp of ½ to one or two teaspoons of olive oil and one ripe avocado in a blender until it creates a smooth, thin consistency (depending on the length of your hair). Use the mixture to apply directly onto your hair, allow it to stay within about 60 minutes, and then rinse it off.
Follow either of these natural remedies once per week and soon your hair would get its healthy look back.
10. Olive Oil
Olive oil is very useful for treating damaged hair as well. Loaded with fatty acids, vitamin E, and several antioxidants, by sealing the cuticle with moisture this oil can help to heal the damaged layers. It can also protect your hair from further damage. Try one or both two following recipes to achieve the best results in curing damaged hair with the help of olive oil:
- First, try mixing together 1/2 cup of honey with 1/4 cup of olive oil. Warm the combination and use it to apply directly onto your hair. Allow it to stay within about half an hour, and then use lukewarm water to rinse it out well before shampooing the hair as usual. Apply this method 1 – 2 per week to achieve the best results.
- Alternatively, try applying olive oil (warm) on your hair and scalp shafts. Massage gently within about 5 minutes, and then use a warm towel to cover your hair. Allow it to stay within at least half an hour or overnight. Last but not least, shampoo and condition your hair as usual. Apply this method at least one time per week.
The article today introduces 10 best home remedies for damaged hair that everyone can follow at home with ease. Want to ask something about this article? Feel free to leave your comments below and wait for a soon replication.