Snoring not just affects you, but your sleeping partner as well. It can have a major impact on your sleeping patterns and can also damage your relationship. Go through this article to know more about how snoring affects your daily life and some useful tips to stop snoring.
Snoring is that disturbing, rattling and snorting sound that is caused due to vibration of the tissues that are located at the back of your throat, nose, and mouth when a person breathes while sleeping. The vibration is due to the relaxation of the muscles that keep the air passage open.
About 40% of adults all over the world suffer from this problem. As compared to women, the problem of snoring is two times more common in men.
Effects of Snoring on Daily Life
Effects on Sleeping
Snoring not just affects the sleeping patterns of the sufferer, but that of the sleeping partner as well and can also result in sleep deprivation. Even while you and your partner are spending 7 to 8 hours in bed, the snoring discomfort for the sufferer and the noise of snoring for your partner doesn’t allow you to get a full nights’ sleep.
Poor sleeping patterns can result in daytime sleepiness, stress, and irritability that can affect your personal and professional life. Moreover, it can also result in a number of long-term health problems.
Unfortunately, snoring can affect your relationships as well. If you snore, you might prefer sleeping in a separate room from your partners’ to allow him/her to sleep peacefully. Sharing the same sleeping bed is an integral part of the relationship with your partner and snoring can break down this ritual.
This can result in a feeling of isolation, anger, and frustration that will further damage the relationship. The most important thing here is to work as a team to treat the snoring problem and rather than damaging, improve the bond in the process.
Tips to stop snoring
If you are tired of your snoring problem and are looking for tips to stop snoring, the below-mentioned tips are sure to help out.
- Start exercising on a regular basis and follow a weight loss program. This is because overweight people generally have a large circumference of the neck and the fat in their neck further pushes the throat to worsen the snoring problem.
- Limiting your alcohol consumption can also help in treating the problem. When you consume alcohol, the muscles in the air passage are relaxed, and this collapses the passage even more to increase snoring.
- Changing your sleeping position can also have an impact on your snoring. When you sleep on your back, your tongue falls back and blocks your throat while you sleep. Thus, sleeping on your side can help you with your snoring by preventing the tongue from falling back.
- Inflammation caused due to snoring, and nasal congestion can cause snoring. Thus, it is recommended that you should get tested for the allergies that might be the cause of your snoring.
- Smoking also results in nasal congestion and inflammation to result in snoring. If you quit smoking, it will not only improve your overall health but can also stop your snoring.
Snoring can have a major impact on the quality of your life and thus, it is important to eliminate it as soon as possible. If none of the above-mentioned tips work, you can visit a physician that can recommend a solution for your snoring problem.