Immunotherapy is one of the treatment methods for Kidney cancer or renal carcinoma. But this treatment is mostly done in association with other treatments. Also, not all renal cancer patients need immunotherapy. The oncologist will only suggest this treatment after analyzing the patients’ test reports and results from other treatments like renal tumor surgery.
Before learning about immunotherapy, you need to understand kidney cancer symptoms and the risk factors of the disease.
Symptoms of Kidney Cancer
Kidney or renal cancer does not always show clear signs or symptoms . Especially patients who have stage I kidney cancer do not get noticeable symptoms. But ad cancer starts to grow and spread, patients experience symptoms such as:
- Bleeding while urinating.
- Pain that remains always in the abdomen region or at the back.
- Lump in the abdomen.
- Sudden loss of appetite.
- Unexplained weight loss.
- Weakness and anemia.
What Are The Risk Factors Of Renal Cancer?
Some of the risk factors that can increase the chance of developing kidney cancer are:
- Age factor.
- Alcohol consumption.
- Genetic disorder.
- High blood pressure.
You can discover more symptoms after consulting with an oncologist.
What Is Immunotherapy For Kidney Cancer?
This is a type of therapy that targets the immune system of the cancer patient and fights the disease directly. This treatment is beneficial in different types of cancer including renal cancer.
The two best ways to initiate immunotherapy for kidney cancer patients are:
- Boosting the patient’s natural defense of the immune system. That way the system will attack the cancer cells and stop its growth.
- Giving the patient lab-manufactured chemical compositions that work like the immune system and improves immunity.
Role Of Immune System In Kidney Cancer
The immune system of the body acts as a shield to protect it from various diseases including cancer cell growth. The immune cells can target the cancer cells and fight them, stopping them from further growth.
Immunotherapy is suggested as a part of the kidney tumor treatment if the doctor suspects metastatic kidney cancer.
Types of immunotherapy For Kidney Cancer
- Aldesleukin- This is a drug that is a kind of protein just like interleukin present in the body. This drug helps treat kidney cancer patients. This therapy can make the disease disappear for a long time. Oncologists generally suggest this treatment along with other forms of cancer treatments.
- Interferon-alfa- This is another type of immunotherapy drug that is used to treat renal cancer patients. This drug shows very little or no side-effects in patients which is why this is mostly preferred by oncologists.
- Nivolumab and Ipilimumab- These two immunotherapy substances target cancer growth. They protect the major points through which cancer growth starts.
It depends upon the physical condition of the kidney cancer patient and the stage of the diseases to determine the right drug to initiate. This treatment is mostly done in patients who are not eligible for chemotherapy or radiation therapy.
Immunotherapy could also have certain side-effects. The therapy may sometimes result in attacking the healthy cells of the patients.
How To Prevent Renal Carcinoma?
One can take a few precautionary steps to avoid the development of kidney cancer. The first and foremost important part is to keep the kidney health in good condition.
Some of the important lifestyle changes can help to prevent kidney tumors and cancer. These are:
- Check the blood sugar and blood pressure level.
- Drink lots of water.
- Avoid smoking.
- Eat a balanced diet.
- Manage weight and lose excess fat.
The more you incline towards a better lifestyle; the higher chances there are to remain fit and avoid complicated diseases.
Read Also: The Stages of Breast Cancer You Need To Know