Whiplash is one of the most common injuries in a car accident. Unfortunately, some people aren’t aware of what to do after suffering from such injuries. Majority of the victims don’t even dare to seek medical treatment. By the time they start realizing unusual pain, the injury has escalated such as to cause nasty complications. Knowing how to deal with whiplash injuries and what to do reduce the risk of such injuries would save victims lots of pain. If you have been involved in a car accident and suffered from whiplash injuries, read on to understand how to deal with such injuries.
What You Need To Do After Whiplash Injuries In A Car Accident
The number of whiplash injuries reported in a single year in Alaska is more than one can imagine. Whiplash occurs when one’s head is whipped back and forth in a significant force in the event of an accident. Though these injuries are known to be painful, some of them take time to appear. That’s why most victims delay seeking medical attention. In a case where such injuries are caused through someone else fault, then the victim should seek redress. If you have been involved in such an accident, you can consult Wasilla accident lawyers to fight for your compensation. According to Mayo Clinic, the below is what to look for if a victim thinks he/she has suffered from whiplash injuries after a car accident:
- Stiffness in the neck
- Numbness in the arms
- A decreased motion of the neck
- Headache especially from the base of the skull
Other than the above, other severe symptoms one may look for include:
- Memory loss
Anyone who experiences the above should seek medical attention immediately to avoid future health complications. Not only that, if one suffer from such injuries due to negligence, they may need to file a personal injury claim for whiplash to seek compensation. Nothing is more painful than having to deal with injuries that one had not planned for due to negligent actions.
How Do I Limit The Risk Of Whiplash Injury?
It’s commonly known that whiplash injuries often occur in rear-end collisions. In the event of a car accident, soft tissues of the neck move beyond the normal range of motion resulting to the neck suffering from hyperextension. This brings about the whiplash effect. The occurrence of these injuries doesn’t matter whether the car was speeding or was moving at low speed. The effect may be the same. The above is the sole reason why one should limit the risk of any whiplash injury. One can ensure to:
- Limit the backset distance to a level where a car occupant is comfortable: The backset is the distance between the head and the head restraint. Any distance more than 10 cm from your head is known to result in a higher risk of whiplash injuries.
- Reactive Seat adjustment: This is a system installed that’s capable of preventing neck hyperextension. Seat adjustment with the right elastomeric damper can reduce the movement of the neck and torso. If a seat is adjusted correctly, then the occupant may be able to push the seat back and forth in a controlled manner. In such a way, one may reduce the motion between the head and the torso. The method is designed to be reactive and only operates during a rear-end collision.
- Position for a crash: Most accidents happen with seconds. But in some cases, one is aware that a collision is about to happen. In such a scenario, one should lean their head on the head restrain and try as much as possible to remain in a neutral position.
- Wear a safety belt correctly: A seat belt is useful to help you stay in the right position. However, without it, having a head restraint will be of no use, and in case of an accident, any injury may be worse.
Filing Your Personal Injury Claim
To get the right compensation for whiplash injuries, you should consider:
- Receiving the right medical care
- Having a legal representative
While many recover quickly after whiplash injuries, others take time. The wide variation of recovery can only be manifested if one gets the proper medical attention. A good lawyer is not only interested in representing you in court but also to ensure you get the best medical treatment. The reason is that the medical records obtained will be of great use when it comes to pursuing compensation. Additionally, the insurance adjuster cannot come up with any settlement without having to go through these records. Besides, they can conduct an independent medical examination to ensure whatever you have indicated is what you have suffered from. For any question concerning whiplash injuries, you can consult an experienced personal injury lawyer for informed legal guidance.