Commercial cleaners are very effective in cleaning your home. But the cost of these can be very high- triggering long-term health conditions for your family.
As a consumer, you are presented with a wide array of commercial cleaning products such as detergents, soaps, bleaching agents, dish washing liquid, bathroom cleaners with only one purpose: To clean! But while these cleaners bleach, sanitize or disinfect your bathrooms, floors, and counter-tops these can be harmful when inhaled or accidentally ingested.
Cleaning ingredients pose danger to your health. Some may cause respiratory issues, chemical burns and worse, it can cause cancer. It is known that the world’s most dangerous cleaning products are drain cleaners, oven cleaners and acidic toilet bowl cleaners according to the research done by Philip Dickey of the Washington Toxics Coalition. The ingredients of these cleaners can result in eye, nose and throat irritation and should not be used by people who have lung or heart problems.
But thankfully, the market also has available options for natural, non-toxic home cleaning products. These are healthier, safer and environmentally-friendly alternatives for you and your family’s well-being.
Here are some of the eco-friendly home cleaners you can use in your household:
- Baking soda – in some cases, baking soda works better than detergents because it dissolves dirt and grease in clothes. It also absorbs bad odors unlike air fresheners or scented candles which can only mask odors and not totally eliminate it.
- Lemon Juice – with its clean and energizing smell, lemon juice can clean almost anything. Lemon’s acidity levels are great for cleaning and the oil in its skin is effective in removing grease on surfaces. Lemons can also manage bad odors inside the fridge. Just soak it on a cotton ball and leave it inside your fridge.
- White vinegar – aside from being a constant ingredient in cooking, white vinegar can also be a good cleaner. It is mostly acidic which makes it an effective cleaner minus the toxic chemicals. It can dissolve grease build-ups and is a great cleaner for windows and mirrors because it gives it a shiny effect.
- Unscented soap – these soaps can come in flakes, powders or bars. Considered as the miracle cleaner, you can use it to clean minor woods by adding 2 teaspoons of castile soap and 2 cups of filtered water then you now have a wound cleansing solution. These are biodegradable cleaning agents and can clean almost anything. Castile soap is one of the best all-around soaps that has no toxic ingredients. You can mix it with essential oils to clean surfaces, glass and dishes.
- Cornstarch – is a natural cleaning agent that can be used to remove grease stains in clothing. It can also be used to polish glass and silverwares. You can also use cornstarch to clean your carpets and remove unpleasant odors by sprinkling cornstarch on carpet before vacuuming. If you are having problems cleaning your mattresses, you can sprinkle cornstarch on top of it and proceed with vacuuming.
- Olive Oil – this is not just used for healthy cooking. Olive oil can be a good cleaner for surfaces to remove stains, grease and grime. This can also be used to shine stainless steel, just put a dab of olive oil on a cloth and rub it on stainless steels, sinks and pots to prevent them from tarnishing.
- Essential oils are known to be potent substances that can be used in cleaning. Aside from their relaxing scents, many of these oils have antibacterial properties. With its potency, it can destroy microbes such as bacteria, fungus and viruses. You can dilute essential oils with water and put it on a spray bottle and spray it on surfaces to keep your condo property clean.
As you become more conscious about what’s harmful to your health and the environment and resort to alternative cleaning methods. In keeping your property clean and tidy, you do not have to sacrifice your own health by using household cleaners with harmful chemicals that can bring problems to your health. These chemicals can also be harmful if you have children at home because these toxic cleaners can cause chemical burns and if swallowed accidentally, will lead to death.
With these homemade cleaners that are affordable, you can whip up your own recipe for your spring cleaning. Using natural cleaners contributes to a healthier Earth because it reduces the risk of water and air pollution and at the same time, keeping you at your optimal health.