No one likes to depend on eyeglasses and contact lenses for clear vision. They feel like a burden on our eyes, and mostly ruin the entire look too. However, there are highly fashionable versions available these days, how would you like if we tell you that you can get rid of them permanently without undergoing any eye surgery? If you are conscious about your eye health and regularly visit an optician, you must have heard the term orthokeratology. Actually, it is a process in which you wear gas permeable eye shapers in the night while asleep. These eye shapers reshape your cornea so that you can see clearly when you wake up and remove them in the morning. Due to their working, they are also called overnight contact lenses or corneal reshaping contact lenses. Let’s know more about the process in detail.
Who Can Use These Eye Shapers?
Orthokeratology is an efficient process that can be effectively used to correct myopia temporarily. Some conditions that can be corrected with these eye shapers include:
- Myopia or nearsightedness as much as -6.00 diopters
- Presbyopia, hyperopia and astigmatism to a certain extent
- Childhood myopia
However, the refractive error that these eye shapers can correct largely depends on one individual to the other. Your optometrist will examine your eyes and guide you whether these eye shapers would help your condition or not. People with moderate condition of myopia can use these molds, even if they have a certain degree of astigmatism. Since children and teenagers are not recommended refractive surgery, they can use these eye shapers to stay away from glasses and contact lenses. People working in dusty surroundings or sports persons can also use them, since dust can be harmful for their contact lenses, and eyeglasses feel uncomfortable too in such conditions.
How Orthokeratology Works
A person fails to see clearly because his vision gets distorted or blurred due to long, short or misshaped retina. After examining your eye, your doctor uses a device called topographer to create a map of your eye, and then he creates a custom-made mould for you as per your eye design and shape. The mould that he creates is made up of highly advanced oxygen permeable material which allows your eye to breathe. With the help of special curves, these eye shapers reshape your cornea, and release a tear film to flow through the corneal surface. This corrects its shape so that images focus directly on the retina and you end up having a crisp and clear vision after removing the moulds.
Benefits of Orthokeratology
There are several benefits of using this process as opposed to wearing eyeglasses or contact lenses, or going through LASIK surgery:
- One major benefit of using orthokeratology is that though temporarily, it naturally corrects your eye sight without going through any surgical procedure
- Since there is no surgery involved, and the effects are temporary too, there is minimal risk involved for your eyes
- Vision can be corrected much better than eyeglasses and contact lenses
- Helpful in controlling myopia in kids, so that there is minimal risk of progression later
- Ideal for dusty surroundings where eyeglasses and contact lenses become troublesome
- You can discontinue the usage any time, and even go for LASIK after that
- Much cheaper than LASIK or refractive surgery
Orthokeratology is believed to be one of the safest methods to correct your eyesight in a natural way. It does not involve any surgery, and you get freedom from your eyeglasses and contact lenses. So, what are you waiting for? Contact your optometrist and ask him about this option, and whether it is available for you or not.