The liver is one of the most vital organs of the body that helps in the process of detoxification and synthesizes proteins. Alcohol liver disease usually occurs after several years of very heavy drinking.
It is very common for such a liver patient to become malnourished because of the changes in metabolism. Hence, for a liver patient, it becomes essential to have a balanced diet. It ensures that your condition does not worsen further and that you are adequately nourished. Now let’s look at some of the food items that keep your liver healthy and aid a quick recovery after the treatment.
Diet For Recovery After Liver Treatment
Cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, Brussel sprouts, and mustard have a very high fibre content. They are highly recommended for recovery after alcoholic liver disease treatment. Ensure that you purchase fresh produce as the canned ones may have sugar or sodium.
- Fruits rich in fiber such as apples should be included in your diet. This is because fiber helps your liver function smoothly.
- Studies state that grapes have numerous compounds such as resveratrol that help the liver. They fight inflammation and increase antioxidant levels.
- Strawberries are rich in Vitamin A and help in alcoholic liver disease treatment.
- The consumption of certain dark berries such as cranberries, raspberries, and blueberries ensures that your liver is supplied with the necessary antioxidants.
- Lemon, banana, avocado, papaya, and watermelon are the other suggested fruits.
- The protein in the diet should majorly come from plant-based sources such as legumes and dried beans.
- Small servings of lean protein from poultry or fish without the skin are permitted. Moreover, some types of fish, such as salmon and eggs, may be suitable.
- Red meat and any processed meat should be avoided entirely after alcoholic liver disease treatment.
- Increasing the whole grain consumption can be fruitful after liver treatment. Include whole-grain pasta, bread, cereal, etc. in your diet instead of refined grain. Whole grains are rich in vitamins, fiber, and antioxidants.
- Cereal bars are a very healthy snack.
What Foods To Avoid
- It is better to avoid fat-rich dairy products. This is because the bile production in the liver may be affected because of the treatment. Hence, it will be difficult for your body to process the fat and digest it.
- You must limit the consumption of salt in your diet.
- Strictly avoid alcohol as well as other beverages that contain added sugars.
- You should avoid raw or undercooked meat and seafood.
Diet has a very significant role to play in liver health. If you are careless with your diet, your liver is defenseless. Hence, it is advisable to adhere to the food items mentioned in the list above to prevent your situation from worsening any further.