Earlier doctors had to go through a tenuous process of checking 18 specifics pre-prescribed points on a patient’s body to diagnose them with fibromyalgia. However, the new guidelines do not require an examination of tender points. Nowadays diagnosis can be done if a person has widespread pain for the duration of more than 3 months with no medical condition already persistent that might literally cause pain. Following points will help you know about the Fibromyalgia cure with ease:
Blood test: The theory of exclusion
There is no possible lab test to determine whether a patient suffers from fibromyalgia, so the doctor uses the theory of exclusion. They eliminate any other probable causes of pain by the following blood tests:
- Complete blood count
- Sedimentation rate of erythrocyte
- The Cyclic citrullinated peptide test
- Rheumatoid factor
- Thyroid function test
If diagnosed with the disease, the following can be considered steps for Fibromyalgia cure:
There are three main FDA approved drugs to cure fibromyalgia. Though several other drugs are used in this regard that are generally not affirmed by the FDA. These drugs were primarily discovered to treat other diseases, but it has found uses in the treatment of fibromyalgia.
- Antiepileptic: Pregabalin has displayed benefits in relieving anxiety, sleep disorders, and mild pain in patients. Another such medication known as gabapentin is seldom used for fibromyalgia cure, but it is not approved as such.
- Antidepressants: Duloxetine and milnacipran are norepinephrine and serotonin reuptake inhibitors that act dually and are approved for fibromyalgia. They work by raising levels of neurotransmitters that are known to the prevent transmission of pain. Other antidepressants that are used include amitriptyline hydrochloride, fluoxetine, paroxetine and sertraline, but they are not specifically approved for fibromyalgia cure.
Analgesics, including tramadol, muscle relaxants, and fatigue medications are often prescribed as substitutes.
Exercise is beneficial:
When you are exhausted in pain, exercise will be the last thing to consider. But physical activity is greatly beneficial for the cure. The doctor will prescribe activities which are best for your treatment.
In addition to pain relief, exercise can reduce pain and boost confidence.
It is noticed that a person who has severe pain experiences stress over that, the pain often increases manifold. According to a research in the National Institute of Health, when the heat was applied to the observed patient’s arm, the ones suffering from fibromyalgia experienced a higher degree of pain from the heat. Educating people to deal with stress in a better way can reduce the impact of those stressors on the feedback of the unpleasant sensations they feel.
A mind body technique to train people how to control involuntary body functions like heart rate, blood pressure and muscle clenching are known as biofeedback. For fibromyalgia cure, biofeedback educates patients about specific physiological functions which can help to control those functions. Some patients are given information about the state of chewing muscles along the jaw point, the ones that make your mouth clench. Electrodes are attached to the body and a machine lets them know the point where their muscles clench. They are then given the particulars to relax these muscles.
A change in lifestyle is required:
When searching for fibromyalgia cure, a holistic approach must be adopted. Here are a few adjustments that might help:
- Think where you spend most of your time. Are you forced to hunch over a computer screen for long periods because your job demands it? If yes, make certain changes like softer seating arrangement, flexible screens and comfortable shoes.
- Are you getting enough sleep that is uninterrupted? A lack of quality sleep is said to contribute greatly to fatigue. Getting enough sleep for a minimum of 8 hours is essential in fibromyalgia patients
A permanent fibromyalgia cure is still not available, but some major steps can relieve you of the pain that comes along with the disease. A strong will power also needed in this regard.