Bladder Leakage? Here Are 6 Specialists You Need to Know

Bladder leakage is a sign of a weak and overactive bladder. People facing any kind of involuntary or accidental leakage of urine probably do so because of a weak bladder. In a life full of stress, an unhealthy lifestyle, obesity, and aging, the weakness of bladder muscles is obvious. This weakening of the bladder muscles prevents the bladder from emptying completely. Although the underlying reason behind bladder leakage can be many, the treatments are convenient.

People feel the loss of control and the feeling to urinate more often when the muscles of their bladder are weak. Anyone at any age can develop an overactive bladder. You should consult a doctor if the symptoms are causing you concern. At some point in time when incontinence is unbearable and hard to manage, you need to seek the help of a specialist. However, you should have an idea of which specialist to consult and what questions to ask before you approach anyone.

Before going to the specialist

Before going to a doctor, make a bladder report or diary and make notes of information related to how many times you faced leaks, try this for several consecutive days. A bladder leakage diary is a detailed overview of the symptoms you face and other information related to your urinary habits. This can help you and your doctor identifies the causes of bladder control problems, and to identify the most effective treatments.

Gather information about other conditions that affect you. Make a detailed record of them, mention your previous health history and attached any test reports that you have. Bladder leak does not cause much trouble but if handled carelessly they could grow into a chronic disease.

During your first visit, the doctor may ask you a series of questions before they are able to arrive at a diagnosis. These may include; current family history of hormonal problems, other conditions such as allergies, eating habits, the pattern of frequent defecation and daily routine, etc. You need to be ready to answer these questions. Prepare by evaluating your lifestyle and noting symptoms and signs of difficult that you face on a day to bay basis.

Not everyone is aware of the options available for the treatment of bladder leakages. We are not experts either. However, these are 6 specialists who can help you address the cause of bladder leakage and other urinary tract infections, arrive at a proper diagnosis and to prepare a plan to manage these ailments properly.

Pelvic Floor Therapist

A pelvic floor is a group of muscles that support the bladder, vagina, and rectum. Pelvic floor muscles surround the urethra and are responsible for retaining urine in the bladder to prevent leakage. A Pelvic floor disorder (PFD) can lead to incontinence that would need treatment to alleviate the issue.
A pelvic floor physiotherapist can help with bladder reconversion, which can reduce urgency and often relax hyperactive pelvic floor muscles.

Initially, you can do some pelvic floor exercises by yourself but you may need to visit a pelvic floor physiotherapist if your technique is not correct, and to learn correct bladder retraining techniques.


Urology is a branch of medicine that addresses the health problems of the urinary tract and reproductive system. A urologist is a doctor trained to treat urinary and genital problems. Go to a urologist if you have a persistent problem such as a sagging or overactive bladder, or if you are dealing with a fecal leak.


Gynecologists are not only doctors who bring babies into the world. They also deal with women’s reproductive and sexual health.
Bladder leakage is a complex problem that affects approximately 15% of women of all age groups. Women face urinary problems after delivery or during pregnancy. Other women develop symptoms during menopause, heavy menstruation or during physical activity.
There are women who feel insecure telling their conditions to a gynecologist. However, no other doctor can help you with your treatment as a gynecologist can.


A Urogynecologist treats clinical problems associated with pelvic floor and bladder dysfunction. Diseases of the pelvic floor affect the reproductive organs and bladder.

The doctor can ask for a urine sample for laboratory analysis to look for white blood cells, red blood cells or bacteria. If they find everything to be normal, they would suggest a normal antibiotic at first. However, if they find something serious or abnormal, then they would start with drugs and further treatment.

Consulting a Urogynecologist is also helpful after giving birth. They can help you strengthen the pelvic floor and prevent the loss of urine, brought on due to labor; that many mothers feel while laughing, sneezing or exercising after giving birth.

General Nurse Practitioners

A family doctor, a practicing nurse of other health-care professionals, can treat most bladder infections. They help patients to recover soon by educating them about changes they can make to their lifestyles, such as changes to eating and drinking habits.
Bladder leakage is a common complaint among people of all age groups. If you are experiencing this, make an appointment your nurse and health care provider.

They may also suggest the use of pads or diapers so that the ailment does not come between your personal and professional life. You can start with Wellness Superio Series to feel protected and safe from leaks.

Wound, ostomy, and continence nursing

WOC (wound, ostomy and continence) nurses provide acute and highly qualified rehabilitation services to people with complex wounds, stool or urinary incontinence. They try to bring quality assistance to vulnerable patients. This community of experienced and caring professionals is dedicated to the promotion of its members and the provision of specialized health care to those in need of wound care, ostomy care and continence.


Incontinence can cause you embarrassment and shame. However, it is good to know that a loss of bladder control is treatable. Call any of the doctors named in this article to find out the best treatment for your condition.

Overactive bladder problems can be reduced considerably by seeking the right treatment. However, a doctor may change the treatment you currently follow and may even ask you to opt for surgery if there is no improvement in the condition whatsoever. You can also order free adult diapers for incontinence issues.

Being shy about the condition of your bladder will get you nowhere. Instead, it could cause your problems to take a turn for the worst. Doctors are trained to make every effort to maintain a positive attitude towards the problem a patient shares with them, and treat you in a manner that helps you feel more comfortable.

In this article

Join the Conversation