Gynecology refers to the medical practice dealing with the sexual health of women; problems in the reproductive system and the breasts. Therefore, gynecologists are doctors who you should go to when you’re experiencing problems such as strong menstrual cramps, abnormal vaginal discharge, experiencing burning sensations in the vaginal area, and to consult about periods. In layman’s terms, gynecologists are your go-to option if you any problem – private or about personal as reproductive health, that you need to address.
Gynecologist, most of them, also specialize in obstetrics – specialization in pregnancy and childbirth. Hence, they are also your go-to option in case you are pregnant and are experiencing some kind of problem. In addition, gynecologists are medically qualified to examine and treat other health problems occurring in women such as female general health and sexual as well as reproductive health.
So, talking about why you should approach a gynecologist for gynecology disorders, here’s the reason.
● They are more qualified to treat gynecological problems. Gynecology, apart from medicine, refers to the “science of women. ” This simply means gynecologists are more qualified to treat problems related to women’s body. Therefore, whenever you have a health problem, it is best to consult a gynecologist rather than a general physician. Consulting a gynecologist can help you gain a better understanding of your body and how to care for it. Besides, general physicians can treat normal health problems. There are other conditions which need specialized treatment only gynecologists can conduct.
● They have knowledge about rare conditions women might be suffering from. Identification of the problem is the first step towards its cure. However, when you visit a general physician, they may or may not have the knowledge about every health conditions a woman are vulnerable to. Therefore, correct identification of the health problem you might be going through becomes difficult. Therefore, if you are not sure of what kind of health problem you are suffering from, visit a gynecologist. The range of health conditions that require specialist knowledge is difficult for general physicians to treat.
How to find the right gynecologist?
Finding the right gynecologist, even though there are many out there, can be a difficult task. One can say it can be like finding a needle in a haystack. Yet, there are a few things you can do to find the Dr. right before you book an appointment with them.
1. Check for gender: Even though you’ll have to share all the required sexual health information with your gynecologist irrespective of the fact they are males or females, having a female doctor would ensure you feel more comfortable, and in control. So, while you are searching for a gynecologist, you can narrow down your search result based on the gender of your doctor.
2. Their personality, nature: Your gynecologist would be sharing some of the most precious moments of your life with you, and they would be by your side during your sexually good and bad times. So, you have to make sure they are reliable, patient, friendly, know how to comfort you, and pleasant. Besides, they must treat you like a friend in order to ensure you are comfortable sharing your problems with them.
3. Insurance: Some of the best gynecologists who understand treating gynecological problems can be an expensive affair, have tie-ups with most health insurance providers. So, in order to make sure you don’t have to afford the treatment from your own pocket, make sure the gynecologist you’re visiting is registered with your insurance provider.
4. Check for references: Word of mouth is the best and most reliable source of information. It is not biased and is purely based on the referrer’s experience with the gynecologist. So, since you are looking for gynecologists, it would be good to take references from people you know such as your mother, your sister or even your best friends.
5. Reputation: Reputation of the gynecologist is a key factor you must consider before booking an appointment. You can ask them for their list of patients so you can check with them if the gynecologist is good or not. You can also check reviews left by existing patients of doctors in online forums. If nothing works out, you can refer to the local gynecologist association.