A ton of planning and brain storming goes into all the work of construction and it is not at all easy. Multitudes of man-hours and hard work go into planning each and every aspect of the project, coordinating with various teams at work and in organizing and systematizing the process. One of the key components of any infrastructural plan, without which, the project could practically fail is the electrical outlay. It takes intense focus in planning the electrical blueprint.
The electrical grid, source, divisions and layout of the entire electrical system is an important part of the architectural structure. This work becomes even more stressful when working with huge, gargantuan projects like sky rises and installation of smart grids under cities. So, who takes care of this monstrosity? An electrical contractor will take this responsibility and will make sure that all plans are executed well and that all necessary protocols are followed.
Who Exactly Is an Electrical Contractor?
An electrical contractor is a designated and skilled person who oversees and guides electrical work-related activities on a construction site. His responsibilities will involve supervising the installation of the electrical grid, spreading and attachment of the wiring, connection of the building’s newly developed grid to the city’s main source grid etc. Depending on what type of project it is, he or she may also be expected to get appropriate additional infrastructure like generators and power back up cells installed. Contractors are different from electricians as electricians would technically be the workers who were hired by the contractor to do the job.
A contractor acts as a mediator between the builder or client and the actual workers and subcontractors and is basically a representative of the wishes and demand of the client.
How to Become Top Electrical Contractors?
- Top electrical contractors have reached their position after years of experience and hard work.
- To become one, you must get a diploma or whatever is the highest certification of schooling granted in your area for electrician.
- After this, you’ll have to get experience and for this purpose you will have to become an assistant or helper to a professional who is working already. Most top electrical contractors readily take novices under their wing and it should be relatively easy to find this job.
- Once you have a good understanding of how the job works, you must try getting professional training or apprenticeship which usually goes on for about 4 years. You get a certificate at the end of it which will hold testimony to the skills you would have acquired.
- Now that you are a qualified contractor, it is time to become licensed. Apply for a license from your government and once you have obtained it, you can either join a firm or start your own independent service and make yourself available for hire.
How Much Do the Top Electrical Contractors Earn?
The earning depends on whether you work for another company or have your own service. The pay varies from city to city and project to project. The top electrical contractors earn about an average of $120,000 in Australia and if these contractors take up additional teaching jobs, they earn higher amounts compared to their colleagues. Top electrical contractors who are self-employed earn around $85-90,000 an hour. If calculated, the amount usually comes to about $50 an hour in Australia.
To become one of the top electrical contractors you will have to put in years of work as constant experience will make you a better professional with every passing day.