When you have a window treatment installed at your home, there are many advantages you would be getting from it. Your home has a magnificent appeal and a beautiful décor and at the same time, you will have the full control of the privacy and light to enter your home. There are plenty of options to choose from when you are looking for a perfect window treatment, but quality outdoor blinds are the most preferred choice among homeowners and interior designers due to some of the best and unparalleled benefits they have to offer.
However, installing outdoor blinds is not enough to keep enjoying the benefits. You need to keep them clean and maintained too. The best thing is that you don’t need to hire a professional for the cleaning job as it can be done by you only. It is a simple job and all you need is some accessories, your time and efforts.
The cleaning method you will choose for your outdoor blinds Melbourne will largely depend on the material of your roller blinds. There are two options for you. If the material of the roller blinds can be submerged in water, you can use the technique we will discuss in this post. On the other hand, if the material cannot be submerged in water, you need the spot cleaning method that is the safest for such blinds.
Washing the blinds
What do you need?
Mild laundry detergent, Bleach (optional), Sponge or soft cloths, Old toothbrush, Vacuum with the brush attachment, a drying rack or outside clothesline, Bathtub, Warm water
Steps to Clean the Blinds:
- First and foremost, you need to remove the window blinds from the roller and lay them flat on the floor. However, in case you cannot remove them from the roller, the best thing would be to spot clean them as there is a chance of loosening the glue that holds the blind onto the roller.
- Now that you have removed the blinds from the roller, you need to vacuum them to get rid of the surface dirt. Use the brush attached with the vacuum and gently brush it over loose dirt or dead bugs.
- Now, you need to fill the bathtub about half full of warm water and add some laundry detergent to the water and gently mix them until you notice foams. If the colour of your blinds is white, you can add some bleach too.
- Now, lay the blinds in the tub gently and carefully and allow them to soak in the water for at least a couple of hours.
- Now, you need to take a soft cloth or sponge to wipe the one end of the blinds back and forth to get rid of any remaining dirt and stains. If the stains are too tough and stubborn, you can use an old toothbrush to wipe them off.
- Now drain the soapy water and fill the bathtub with clean water and rinse the blinds. Keep repeating it until all of the soap is removed. If you have a friend who can help you out, you can hold up the blinds and rinse with a shower sprayer.
- Then, let the blinds dry by laying them over a drying rack or outside on a clothesline until they are completely dried. You can speed up your fan to accelerate the drying.
- Now, they are cleaned thoroughly and you can attach them back onto the roller and then reinstall them over the window.
Spot Cleaning the Blinds
For cleaning the blinds with the spot cleaning method, you will need a vacuum, post-it notes, white foam shaving cream or upholstery foam, a scrub brush, two cloths, water and a fan or hairdryer
Steps to Clean the Blinds:
- As we have discussed above, if the blind material is glued onto the roller, you cannot remove them and you have to use the spot cleaning method to clean the modern outdoor blinds.
- First of all, you need to check out whether you find any stains or dirt spots on the blinds or not. Use post-it notes to mark the spots.
- Use the upholstery brush attachment to vacuum them if they are dirty and dusty.
- Use the foam shaving cream or an upholstery foam cleaner to clean the stains or dirt spots. You need to apply the foam directly on the dirty spot and scrub it gently with a soft scrub brush. Now, wipe off foam and blot with a damp cloth to rinse the blinds. Remember that you don’t need to bloat, but it is highly recommended as a residue from a cleaner remains, it might attract dirt and dust.
- What if the whole blind is dirty? In that case, you need to use the foam all over them and start scrubbing all the parts of the blind one by one, by working in small sections. Scrub, wipe off and then blot the area with a damp cloth for rinsing.
When you buy outdoor blinds online, you need to promise yourself that you will clean them regularly. Blinds that are not cleaned look dull and unattractive and will completely kill the ambience. Cleaning does not take much time or money. All that you need is some efforts.