Grapefruit is a subtropical citrus fruit native to Barbados. Grapefruit is actually something between sweet orange and pomelo. We all know that grapefruit is very delicious and healthy, but there are also some things about this fruit that you probably don’t know. In this article you will find out five interesting facts about grapefruit. It is good to read this article before adding grapefruit to your diet, so let’s start.
- Helps In Weight Loss. You have probably heard that many people eat grapefruit to lose weight and we can tell you that grapefruit is a great choice for weight loss. This fruit is low in calorie and you can safely add it to your diet. A half grapefruit contains less than 40 calories. Not only is grapefruit low in calorie, but it is also high in fiber. It is known that fiber fills you up and minimizes your hunger. After eating grapefruit, you will feel full for a longer period of time and you will not eat unhealthy snacks. It is recommended to add a half grapefruit to your breakfast or to toss it into your salad.
- High Vitamin Content. Grapefruit is very high in vitamin C and this is a fact that you probably know. But did you know that half a grapefruit contains all the vitamin C that you need for the whole day? As we have already said, it is best to eat grapefruit in the morning. You can add it to your breakfast, but you can also bake it with brown sugar, in order to get a delicious healthy dessert. Grapefruit also contains large amounts of vitamin A, which is also a powerful antioxidant. Vitamin A helps in cell growth, it boosts your immune system and improves eye health.
- Grapefruits Vary in Color. Most common color of grapefruit is pink, but there are also other colors. There are red, white and yellow grapefruits that you can also find in supermarkets. These types of grapefruit are different in color, but their flavors are almost the same.
- Grapefruits Are Easy To Store. It is known that many fruits spoil quickly and it is a big problem. A good thing is that grapefruits are easy to store, so you don’t have to worry about their shelf life. If you store them at room temperature, they will last for about a week. If grapefruits are refrigerated, they will last about three months. So, if you buy grapefruits and you won’t eat them immediately, it is best to put them in the fridge.
- Poisonous to Dogs. It is known that pet owners love to share food with their pets. But, is it a good idea to share grapefruit with dogs? Although grapefruits are full of health benefits for us humans, they can be dangerous to dogs. The peel of a grapefruit, seeds and pith are the most dangerous because they contain some chemical compounds that may be toxic to dogs. Symptoms that may appear after your dog eats a grapefruit are diarrhea, vomiting, lethargy, depression, trembling and many others. In some serious cases the toxicity can be fatal. In order to avoid any side effects, it is best to avoid feeding your dog grapefruit and you should find some other healthy treat for him. But, if your dog has already eaten a certain amount of grapefruit, it is best to take him to the veterinarian as soon as possible.
We hope this article was interesting and useful for you. After reading all these facts about grapefruit, we are sure that you will include this fruit in your diet. Also, we are sure that you will find some other fruity snack for your dog.