Safety is a major concern for many people, especially for those living in a city. One might face a car accident or get involved in a work mishap, and you might get caught in a situation where you get injured owing to some technical reason or someone else’s fault. In such cases, you may be eligible to receive a sizeable compensation for your injuries.
Before putting your case across the responsible party or even before meeting the insurance company, it is advisable to meet with a qualified personal injury attorney and share the details of the case. An experienced attorney can help you check out options and even the overall chances of recovery from your case. You are not bound to hire the first attorney you meet, so you can choose the one whom you can trust.
Selecting a personal injury lawyer
Selecting a qualified personal injury lawyer can be a hassle, especially if you are not used to working with or meeting lawyers or law firms. Many lawyers claim that they are confident in handling personal injury cases but not many can actually claim to have effective solutions to different scenarios. It takes more than one interview with the attorney to know if he or she can handle a serious personal injury claim. Always opt for a qualified personal injury attorney or law firm that specializes with similar cases to handle your own case.
Here are 10 key questions one should ask before finalizing or hiring a personal injury lawyer:
1. Which areas of law are you well versed with? Are you efficient in handling personal injury cases?
2. Have you handled any injury cases like my case before? How many cases have you handled and what is the success ratio?
3. How many cases have you pushed to trial and were the results satisfactory for your clients?
4. What is the typical duration to resolve an personal injury case like mine?
5. Will you be communicating with me regularly about my case? Will I get to speak directly with you in case I need my queries resolved? Avoid picking an attorney or law firm who appoints an “investigator” or paralegal for the first meeting instead of meeting with you directly
6. How many cases are you handling currently? Would you get enough time to handle my case efficiently?
7. If I am not satisfied with the amount offered by the insurance company to settle my case, will you as my personal injury attorney file a lawsuit on my behalf and push the case to trial?
8. Can I get past references of similar cases and clients?
9. Have you ever been suspended from practicing law? If yes, please state reasons?
10. What is the contingency fee involved for this case?
Talk to experienced attorneys before going forward with the case if you are a victim of injury or accident without your fault. The best attorneys ensure that you receive the entire compensation and are experts at handling such accident cases. They will ensure the complete payment of medical bills, extra compensation for the mental trauma and suffering, payment of wages lost owing to injury, and punitive damages as applicable.